Levitating rod magnet
The rod magnet levitates thanks to the strong repulsion of equal poles
Online since: 07/04/2010, Number of visits: 322499
This project is about the strong repulsion of equal magnetic poles. You need:
- Adhesive tape
- Two straight pieces of wood
- Rod magnets: Technically, all types will do, but the longer the rod magnet the more the equal poles repel each other. In this project we used 10 S-04-25-N rod magnets.
The assembly is simple:
1. Divide the 10 rod magnets into three pieces: one with four magnets and two with three magnets.
2. Identify north and south pole on each piece (see FAQ north pole).
3. Mark north and south pole of the three pieces with coloured adhesive tape.
4. Use adhesive tape to glue the two shorter pieces on a piece of wood.